Friday, September 20, 2013

We used to be friends

I can easily associate books with old friends.

I don't know why I'm writing this. It's just that...While I was reading "A Treacherous Love" and saw the ad for "It Happened to Nancy" at the back, I remembered how I lent that book to a friend. It was way back then. Way back in college, when I was having the time of my life.

"It happened to Nancy" often reminds me of her. My college friend. I can't just simply call her "my friend" because it would be untrue. We no longer talk. I no longer know her.

But the book, though no longer with me, will always remind me of her. Sometimes, I miss her. I miss how she used to tell me everything. How she would cry over the simplest things--even cry for Nancy. How she had been so frank. How we promised to be good friends and how we promised that the friendship wouldn't end.

Sometimes, I wonder how she is and who she is now. I only know her from what she posts online. That's not enough. It's never enough.

And then there's "A Walk to Remember". More than anything, it'll always remind me of my old bestfriend. The one I've known since I was eight. The one who spend so many weekends at our house. The one i grew up with, then seemingly kicked out of my life two years back. I had my reasons, and those still stand firm.

We talk sometimes. Once in a while, once in a blue moon. The anger forgiven, the pain seemingly not forgotten.

I never knew it would end up this way. That we'd grow apart. That we'd fall apart. I did, but not this way.

But that's how life goes.

I don't often write about the friends I lost. I always believed that friendships fail; nothing really lasts forever.

But sometimes...sometimes, my heart just rises up to the surface. Sometimes, i miss the old days. Sometimes, I miss them.

We WERE friends, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment