Saturday, May 9, 2015

Kiera Cass - THE HEIR - Book Review

The Heir (The Selection, #4) 
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.
***

So, The Heir.

Well, this is the 4th book in The Selection Series and I have to say that I was pretty excited for this because you know, I'm obsessed with princesses and fairytales and all those beautiful things, and I did enjoy the first three books in the series. Also, Kiera's amazing so it would be impossible not to read this.

“Didn't they know who I was, what they'd trained me for? I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me.
So if they thought I was going down without a fight, they were sadly mistaken.” 

(This would be spoilery so stop reading now if you hate that)

When I started to read this book, I felt like there was something off about it. Like, there were some things that didn't make sense because the thing is, I think the story should really have ended with The One. Because...you know, it's really tricky to add more stories, make more, when there's really not a lot of things to work on anymore, you know what I mean? I do agree, though, that there are some more stories that need to be told (especially The Favorite), but this one just felt awkward for me.

Here's why I had to say that it's awkward:

The effin' Selection. Seriously, what was the point of that? America didn't enjoy it in the past. Maxon tried to change everything but tralala crazy stuff started to happen and all he and America could think of was create another Selection for their daughter? That kind of irked me. I mean, maybe there could have been something else, right? Like, maybe, we could get to know Eadlyn in a different manner and she could have gotten a different love story--without any Selection.

Those conflicts. What in the world? No, seriously. I really just felt like...they just had to be written in for the sake of err, conflicts. And that's what made it a bit off.

“I’m smart and beautiful and strong. I don’t need to be rescued.” 


BUUUUUUT that doesn't mean that I didn't like it. The Heir was still enjoyable. There would still be times when you'd find yourself smiling (I know I did), and when you know you'd be rooting for the characters (Team Kile all the way!). If you actually enjoyed The Selection, you'd enjoy this one because it has the same elements.

Also, it's safe to say that Eadlyn? She's her own person. Conflicted, sure, and maybe she's rebelling against things that she doesn't know about, but she is strong and brave on her own. And I think, that's something good. It's good when you have protagonists who could stand on their own and aren't always consumed by love and romance and all those things (There is also absolutely nothing wrong about that), especially in the world where she's living in. 

Also...I really, absolutely adored Kile! He's like his mother...and I do hope that in the next (is it the last?) book, we'd get to know him more. Other Selected were hmmm sketchy, for me. 

Oh, and yes, surprises? This book has its fair share of those. Now, I won't spoil those for you but I must say...they're intriguing. 

That ending? Oh, man, can't say I didn't expect that.

Will I read the next book?

I want to say no...but I'm pretty sure I still would. Because you know what? Sometimes, these romantic, crazy, sort of atrocious stories are just what we need in this dark, dark world.


No comments:

Post a Comment