Friday, February 27, 2015

Jasmine Warga - MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES - Book Review

My Heart and Other Black Holes

Author: Jasmine Warga
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.

There’s only one problem: she’s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel’s convinced she’s found her solution: a teen boy with the username FrozenRobot (aka Roman) who’s haunted by a family tragedy is looking for a partner. 

Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other’s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together. Except that Roman may not be so easy to convince.


***
I feel like I can sense a pattern with recently released YA books, because I've read two books the past month or so with the same theme so I thought...this better be good or else, I am so not going to finish it.

In the first couple of pages, I felt like...this really feels like some of the stuff I read BUT--and it's a big but, I knew that there were going to be a couple different things about it. And so, I went on reading.

And you know what? It actually turned out to be amazing.

MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES will remind you that depression is real. It is a medical condition, and it shouldn't be taken lightly. But more so, it will also remind you that teenagers have every right to feel what they feel; actually, every person does. 

What I really liked about this book was that it was unpretentious. It was so beautiful in all its simplicity, and the thing is, there is depth in that simplicity and, that, for me is one of the best things about a book: when it gets you compelled and emotionally involved without trying hard enough.

"Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.” 

I also liked the dynamics between Roman and Aysel. What they had was not like the love stories of characters in most books where the MC and LI were just...into each other right away, or hard sparks right away. You know what I mean? I like the build up. I like how the characters will make you think about what their roles in each other's lives would be, and how the relationship will progress--or if it will progress at all.

It's a book filled with beautiful, colorful characters--with their black holes and all. And boy, it would really make you feel for the characters and for what they're going through. There were times in the book where I was like, "Oh please don't let this happen" or, "NOOOOOO", and the like. In the end, I think I got what I wanted from it.

The ending, for me, is beautiful and realistic: again, it's not pretentious and it would allow you to really see the reality of how things could be, and how life is seen by different eyes, through different perspectives.

“I will be stronger than my sadness.” 

Whether or not you're suffering from depression, I recommend that you read this book, so you could open up your eyes some more and hopefully, get to understand the people around you. You won't regret it, I promise.







No comments:

Post a Comment