Sunday, May 11, 2014

Kiera Cass-The One : Book Review

Title: The One
Author: Kiera Cass

The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey... Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned.


***
Aaaaaaand it's finally here! Kiera Cass' "The One", the last of "The Selection" trilogy was released this week and I have so.much.feeeeeels.

First up, the cover: It's so GORGEOUS, I just spent so much time looking at it. Just look at that lovely cover, I couldn't even stress it enough. You can see more of it in this book trailer: (One of the reasons why I bought this book is because of the gorgeous cover...tee-hee)




You know, I was torn between giving this 3 or 4 stars but I decided on 4 because the book was able to tug at my heartstrings, and to me, that's really important. I was torn because, somehow, I thought the book was not going to live up to my expectations and there were times when I felt like, the author could have pushed for more...and then came the latter parts and my expectations were fulfilled (plus there were shockers, too).

So, let's see...Only 4 girls are left in the palace: Celeste, Elise, Kriss and of course, America.They're all fighting so hard for Maxon's affection, but of course, they have different motives and those motives are depicted in this installment. You'll get to know more about the ladies: their dreams and fears, hopes and ambitions and what makes them tick, and ohmygod, you'll seriously just feel for them.I'd have to say that I liked how the characters matured in this book because it reminds you that hey, people change

And then there's Maxon and Aspen, two men who are vying for America's heart.Their feelings are also depicted better in this book than the others so that's good.

"Break my heart. Break it a million times. It was only yours to break, anyway."

Queen Amberly. Oh yes, there's so much that I want to know more about her and I guess we'll all just have to wait for "The Queen", the author's very own prequel for Amberly for that.

King Clarkson. Doesn't he really have a heart? (Or maybe, the author will have another book for that, too...)

And there were really quite a lot of shockers. There were deaths that broke me, and would've broken me more if the orchestration was better, but I guess the way the author wrote about the deaths is also a way of keeping the book light--and loyal to its premise. 

So, yeah, there were certain questions that weren't answered, for me, but all in all, THE ONE was good. I think the reason why so many girls like this series in particular is because most of us (and I'm one of those) have all these fairytale dreams in mind. We all want a modern fairytale. We all want to feel like princesses, we all want our own prince charmings, we all want to be given the chance to live our dreams. And THE ONE (and its predecessors) are great examples of books that speak to the princess that lives inside of us.

THE ONE was bittersweet: It's a story that encapsulates hope and love, and at the same time, makes you realize the reality that even though you get to love a lot of people, and even though those people may stay in your heart, there really only has to be THE ONE.







No comments:

Post a Comment