Wednesday, May 21, 2014

E. Lockhart - We Were Liars: Book Review

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Rating: 4.5/5 

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


***

AHHHHHH! I just have so many, many, many feeeeeelssssss about this one. 

Let me elaborate: First, I really had so much expectations for this book so I was so excited when it was released and that I could finally read it. I love mystery and stories that feature "crazy" but beautiful people/families, so it's no surprise that I wanted to read this one. The first couple of chapters were...hmm...how do I put this...they didn't really hook me or held me to the book the way they would except (or maybe it was the lack of sleep that did that) and THANK HEAVENS I went on reading (which I barely do when I feel lazy about a book already; I've very little tolerance some days) as it's probably one of the best decisions I made lately.

Anyway, once I went on and got past the slow couple of first chapters, my god. This book totally hooked me already. I couldn't put it down and I couldn't stop reading anymore because I wanted to find out who did what, what happened, and who's this or that (I'm sorry it's so vague but it's true: You HAVE to read this book to find out the whats and whos and whatever else there is). The beauty of this book lies in its mystery: How it captivates the audience and gets you thinking; how you think you know what's going to happen and then you'd figure out that you actually don't.

The characterization was good, imagery was good...It's the kind of story that you just would love to read because it lets you feel like you're part of the story in a way. I like the fact that some of my guesses were wrong--I hate it when a story gives away all the clues when in fact, the reader should be blown away 'til the very last page. And that's what this story did to me, actually: Down to the very last page, my emotions got played--and were just all over the place.

I cannot even talk about the last few chapters because I feel like I might spoil all the fun for you. But it's...Ah there's just no word for it. It's just...It's what it is and it's great and crazy and your heart and mind will just be all over the place. 

WE WERE LIARS is a story that would not leave your thoughts for a while, that's for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment